New car seats have additional features which add to the security of the baby once placed in the seat. These features are recommended by pediatricians and experts to avoid the risk of injuries. If you want to purchase these features, ask your manufacturers for the appropriate parts to make sure they fit with your seat. Some of these features are enumerated below:
- Harness system – The safest harness to use is the 5-point system where the straps are webbed extending over the child’s hips, between the legs, and collar bones. The 5-point harness positions the child securely. Unlike with the ordinary safety seat belt, the strap of the lap belt is usually positioned on the tummy and the shoulder belt on the neck. With the harness system, the child will avoid choking and slipping out of the belt. The harness must have a front adjustment to tighten the strap. A tight harness can reduce the forward movement of the child contributing to a safe ride and reduced risk on injuries.
- LATCH – This is a new system in baby car seats. LATCH means Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children. It has lower anchor attachments and a top tether. These anchors are intentionally designed for safety seats. LATCH makes the seat installation easier. Instead of seat belts, the LATCH can be used as replacement.
- Head protective gear – An additional layer of foam can be added to the head part of the seat to avoid side to side movement and impact during vehicle collision. The foam also serves as a pillow for the child if he wants to sleep or lean.
- Locking clips – These clips are important to hold the seat properly. Over time, the seat belt may loosen up so locking clips can tighten the seat to avoid movement that can cause injury to the child.
- Built-in recline adjustment – Instead of using rolled up towels for rear-facing seats, a recline adjustment can be of great help. This is necessary for cars eats facing the rear part of the car. It is practical to use the recline adjustment because there are different recline angles suited for infants and toddlers.
- Infant carriers with bases – It is recommended to buy infant seats with bases to make the installation easier. If the baby is moved out of the car, the base is left in while the carrier can be carried without removing the baby out of the harness. It can also function in two ways – a child seat and a carrier at the same time.
- Easy to adjust tether straps- Tethers are belts in the seats. Tether straps should be adjustable because the baby’s sizes also vary. There are big babies who need longer strap and there are small babies who need tighter strap. Tethers are also useful in connecting the strap from the anchor because it keeps the seat in a steady position.
These are just some of the important features of newly-produced baby car seats. To know more about these features, you may contact your local provider or you may research online for more features and hardware.